Installing railings whether for your home’s interior or exterior is critical and can be a make or break home improvement project. Railings for your staircase, balcony, porch, deck, or patio have many implications including safety, aesthetic, and functionality. You cannot afford to have your railings designed and installed shabbily lest you suffer the consequences and waste your significant investment. Railings that do not conform to building codes can be safety hazards that cause serious accidents like falls. Railings with designs that are off and are poorly installed can be ugly and will not enhance the appearance of your home. Moreover, they can even degrade your property’s value. Just as importantly, railings that don’t suit the function for which they are intended will not justify your reasons for installing them.
When you realise the important implications of an inferior railings installation, you would be well-advised not to attempt doing a DIY for your railings. While you can easily purchase railing materials you will need from a railing store, it is always a wise decision to let a professional railing company do the technical work of installing your railings.
Types of Railings
You can choose from a few options of railings from a railing store or what the railing company will offer you. There are wood railings, metal railings such as iron, steel, and aluminum railings, stainless steel railings, wire railings, and glass railings. Each of them has its benefits and disadvantages.
Wood railings are inexpensive and can easily be installed. They can last for at least 10 years when maintained properly.
Iron, steel, and aluminum are inexpensive, strong, and can be stylish while easy to maintain.
Wire railings provide for an open design. Their horizontal cable arrangement makes a unique design. Their costs are comparable to those of wood or metal railings but they have the potential to last longer.
Stainless steel railings use stainless steel rails and parts. The rods can be both vertical and horizontal.
Glass panels instead of balusters are used in glass railings. They typically use a strong and safe tempered glass that can be clear, frosted, tinted, or designed.
Considerations in Railing Installation
1. An understanding of the features and benefits, as well as the downsides of using the different types of railings, is important in your choice of the right railings to install to meet your requirements and expectations.
2. In deciding which railings are best, review their safety performance, functionality, maintenance requirements, how their costs satisfy your budget, and the criticality of their application.
3. Before beginning your home improvement project with your railing installation, it is important to check with your local authorities about building code requirements for your area. The interpretation of building codes can vary greatly from city to city so it best to check with your municipality.
4. Follow strictly the municipality codes for staircases and balconies including railing height, and post and baluster spacing.
5. Prioritise accurate measurement, which can mean the difference between secure, attractive, and wobbly railings. Improper measurements can lead to spills and falls.
6. Don’t just purchase any product the railing store recommends. Make sure your railing style suits and complements the design of your home and enhances its value.
7. Test the completed stair or balcony railing. Test the installed railing out with family members or friends. Check that the height is ergonomically correct and the structure is very stable and robust.
8. It is good to have wood, and metal railings painted, stained, or coated to prolong their service life.
10. Trust only expert installers to ensure quality work. Talk to the railing company you have chosen to do the installation for you. Let them know what your requirements and expectations are even before they begin their plan.
Finding the Best Railing Company
When your home is in Kelowna, you can rely on New Town Glass for your railing project. We are experts in glass with over 15 years of experience in glass installation including interior and exterior railings. Aside from glass, we also work with other materials customers prefer for their railings. As a professional railing installation service provider, we use only railings of the highest quality standards, reliability, and performance. We source our railing products primarily from industry leaders – Falcon Railing and Q-Railing.
Falcon Railing and Q-railing are two of the best railing companies you can trust to deliver the highest quality railings. Falcon Railing Mfg. manufactures topless glass railing and aluminum railing systems. Their non-obtrusive topless glass railing design lets you experience the most beautiful and enjoyable view you can ever imagine. Q-Railing offers top-quality glass balustrades and other products for use especially in modular designs including handrails, glass clamps, glass adapters, and many other innovative solutions.
Call New Town Glass for your railings. We can help you upgrade your home with stunningly beautiful indoor railing for your staircase or outdoor railings for your balcony, porch, or patio. We offer a free consultation.